CAD CAM Dental Technology
CAD/CAM Dentistry is a field of dentistry and prosthodontics to improve the design and creation of dental restorations including crowns, veneers, inlays and onlays, dental implants, and other orthodontic appliances. It brings with it some unique advantages to dentists, including:
- CAD/CAM restorations are typically bonded right away and can be created in as little as one hour. The process is much quicker and negates the need for a temporary crown to be placed on the tooth while a lab produces the permanent product.
- CAD/CAM restorations more closely match the basic shade of a restored tooth
- CAD/CAM allows for digital scans of a patient’s tooth to be created so impression material and trays are no longer required and the discomfort to the patient is avoided.
- CAD/CAM allows you to easily control and predict how the restoration will turn out.
- CAD/CAM avoids the use of metal so the patient’s exposure to mercury is reduced
- The quality of restorations produced through CAD/CAM is higher quality so it’s more durable and longer-lasting than traditional methods.